Wednesday, June 27, 2012

New Wednesday, New Comics

Yes, reviews will be coming soon. Lots and lots. In the meantime, here's what I picked up today, this fine new comics day with some notes about my anticipation level and expectations:

All-Star Western #10 (DC)
The new 52 adventures of Jonah Hex continues. Last issue he met a Talon from Gotham (same dudes Batman is fighting over in the bat-books). Let's see what happens here. Also, the back-ups have been consistently terrific throughout this series. Bat-Lash in this issue!

Captain America and Iron Man #633 (Marvel)
I planned on dropping this after the Hawkeye arc, but this issue has Batroc the Leaper. So, here I am.

Fatale #6 (Image)
I just caught up on Fatale 1-5 last week. Outstanding melding of horror, crime, and supernatural elements. Book 1 really cemented the world this all takes place in. Really looking forward to where Book 2 goes.

Flash #10 (DC)
Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato have done an excellent job of adding, teasing and juggling various story lines the last few issues. Hopefully, they begin to converge here.

Justice League #10 (DC)
After the misstep following the sort of ho-hum opening arc, last issue promised some great things. Hopefully, going forward Justice League will consistently deliver. Though the villian's name is "Graves" (real name and villain name) so I'm a bit ambivalent on how things will turn out. Graves, really?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Century: 2009 (Top Shelf)
Part three of the Century trilogy. Century: 1969 is still in my to-read pile. How lame is that? This is a good excuse to give the entire LoEG catalog a re-read leading up to Century: 2009.

Prophet #26 (Image)
I'm on record as a fan of Prophet. Each issue contains it's own little revelation and surprise. Amazing ideas executed flawlessly so far. Plus, I saw a preview of Emma Rios' back-up feature and it looks amazing. On the top of the to-read pile.

Spider-Men #2 (Marvel)
Peter and Miles met at the end of #1. Looking forward to how Peter reacts in the Ultimate universe.


Usagi Yojimbo: Traitors of the Earth (Dark Horse)
Usagi Yojimbo has always been a title that intrigues me. A samurai rabbit and what looks like nice clean cartooning. It's been around forever. Heck, I may even have a few issues here or there laying about that I've forgotten about (a samurai rabbit comic is something I could see myself buying in the heyday of the black and white explosion after-all). Anyway, I've been looking for an in with Usagi Yojimbo, so I figured I'd take a flier on this newly released trade that collects some recent stuff.

No comments: