Friday, June 20, 2008

ETHIOPIA: Time Travel


One of the slogans of Ethiopia is “Thirteen Months of Sunshine.” I first thought this was a marketer’s gimmick, implying that it is so sunny in Ethiopia we have metaphorically added another month to contain it all. I am here during the rainy season and, therefore, vehemently disagree with this always sunshine sentiment. But the thirteen months part is true. The Ethiopian calendar has thirteen months and no leap year. This makes them literally behind the times. In fact, Ethiopia celebrated the Millennium last year. So it’s really 2001 in Ethiopia.

If I was an end-of-the-world prognosticator I would always have the Ethiopian calendar in my back pocket. “I know I said the world was going to end last week. My mistake. I was using the Ethiopian calendar.” You would never be wrong.

There’s a new found freedom to be had by living in 2001 again. This allows me to look back seven years and see how it compares to current 2001 I am experiencing. Where was I in the old 2001? I think I was living in New Jersey. Advantage Ethiopia 2001.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy! I never knew that!

Unknown said...

I left my native Ethiopia 20 years ago and never been in Ethiopia in the rainy season, I usually visit Ethiopia in the summer. But, I can tell you that MN warmer winter days is much worst than Ethiopian bad rainy day.

dennis said...

I lived in MN for a year. The cold is brutal but at least it was sunny most of the time.