Thursday, June 26, 2008

ETHIOPIA: Hum-Drum


I have fallen into a routine. This should have been expected. I am living here for three months rather than just visiting for a week or two. I am working everyday. I wake and get ready to leave the office. I grab some tea and cake. I spend a day reviewing malaria data. I leave the office. Sometimes I wander around. Sometimes I get something to eat. Sometimes I grab a drink.

I partly blame my stomach ailment as that tired me and due to a shaky digestive system I didn’t want to wander to far for a few days. So I got used to taking it easy and not exploring as I should. Most of the blame is my own apathy. I am treating Addis Ababa just as I do NYC, where you end up in your own little world and don’t take advantage of anything outside that world. Maybe, as my time nears its end, I’ll feel more pressure to do something exciting, if only to not have to explain why I lived in Ethiopia for three months and didn’t do much of anything.

No comments: