Tuesday, June 10, 2008

ETHIOPIA: A Dangerous Place


The exchange rate in Ethiopia is $1 USD = 9.5 Birr. A Birr goes a long way.

I have been eating filling, flavorful meals of “national food” including a drink (coke or water) and an after meal tea for less than 30 Birr. Bottled water is anywhere between 2 and 5 Birr. (I notice prices vary wildly) And I haven’t bought a beer for more than 10 Birr. So mostly I have been paying a buck or less for a beer. For an honest-to-god tasty Ethiopian beer. Less than or around $1 USD.

Forget all you hear about the perils and hazards of urban Africa. It seems to me that real danger lies in wait for someone who enjoys a cool, refreshing beer and has a pocketful of Birrs. Someone like me.

2 comments:

brewfarm said...

bring some Ethiopian beer home if you get a chance in a few months.

dennis said...

Why don't you go to an Ethiopian restaurant and drink a beer...I'll try to as I have found some I really like. But how do you do that? Package it and put it on as checked baggage?