Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Comic Book Reviews: Ragemoor & Frankenstein

So, lots to catch up on from the last few weeks and into this week. I would love to be able to review all the comics I read. But, as I mentioned in a different post, I'll continue to focus solely on what I like and not spend time writing on what falls flat. I would like to think that I'm only buying stuff that blows me away month after month and, so, should have plenty to write about.


Speaking of being blown away, Ragemoor #2 (Dark Horse) simply blew me away. The first issue was sort of a closed, inclusive issue, so I was eager to see the direction this issue would take. It begins with a tortured Poe-esque love poem that Herbert writes to Anoria, who survived the castle attack. It then introduces a new, brilliantly conceived character, Tristano ("that poacher"), that lurks outside the castle, and pushes the plot for the rest of the issue, even if he appears only in two panels. The lovesick Herbert attempts to prove his manliness to Anoria, and in doing so more secrets about Ragemoor are revealed, and, of course, many, many more mysteries deepen. I'm not even sure we've even arrived at the heart of what the series is about yet. There's plenty of moving forward here and so does my anticipation. Jan Strnad's script crackles throughout and here are some choice quotes, sans context, to give a taste: "Servent venom is nothing to be taken lightly" and "Those wretched baboons - why does Ragemoor tolerate them?" Richard Corben's art continues to exude dread, terror, and the gothic ridiculousness of it all. I'm saddened that we're halfway through this tale. Highly Recommended

Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli's Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE continues its run as one of the highlights of the New 52. Issue 8 finds Frank and Lady Frank searching for their son, who escaped SHADE's prison. This son is the cause of strife between Frank and Lady Frank and Lemire deftly handles the charged emotions throughout the book between Frank and his ex-wife. Lemire deals with similar issues of familial loss and tragedy in his exceptional Sweet Tooth and mines the same potent material here. Lemire leaves his writing duties on Frankenstein with next issue, I believe. But I won't be leaving as the highlight of each issue has been Alberto Ponticelli's art (High praise indeed as Frankenstein is one of the tightest and intriguingly plotted books I read each month. Also one of the most fun). Ponticelli's scratchy-lined work works great within this monster-populated universe. Walden Wong came aboard with issue 7 to provide inks for Ponticelli's pencils and it threw me off as it was too clean and formed. Wong remains here on issue 8 and the pair seem to have found their groove together as the art is eye-popping an dynamic throughout. Highly Recommended

Today is new comics day. My predicted haul for later today:

All-Star Western #8 (DC)
Captain America #10 (Marvel)
Captain America & Hawkeye #629 (Marvel)
Daredevil #11
Exile on the Planet of the Apes #2 (Boom)
Flash #8 (DC)

Still looking for Saga #2!

No comments: